Monday, October 15, 2007

Retaining My Anonymity

I find it difficult to write about some situations and events without doing one, or both, of two things; one is retaining my anonymity at the university that I attend, the other is, in some way, betraying others by writing about them.

I read a blog, writing as jo(e), that solves that problem in an interesting way. The author makes up names for the people in her life and writes about them using those names. I quite like her blog and the way she weaves the personal stories into her blog without compromising the privacy of the people she knows. It is apparent that others know that she writes a blog and that she may write about them. Most people that I know do not know that I am writing this blog. I have only told some of my family members and a couple of my friends. I am not sure that her solution is the way that I will solve my problem, but it is an option worth considering.

I would like to retain my anonymity, as much as I can, given that several people know that I am writing this blog. I believe that it gives me an opportunity to write about my experiences without being self-conscious about how others may react. I will not betray confidences and I will write in a way that respects the privacy of those that I write about. I just will not be able to write about some of the interesting stuff that happens.

Hey! Who am I kidding? Not enough people read this blog for me to worry abut my being known as a blogger. Not yet, anyway.

No comments: