Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Dreams

I met a young woman who has many dreams. She is already being encouraged to forget about some of them. I told her of my dream of returning to university and how it finally came to fruition after almost four decades. We all need our dreams. Sometimes they keep us going through the hard times. I encouraged her to pursue her dreams and remember that she does not have to follow them all today. Maybe she will remember our conversation, someday, maybe four decades from now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hold Fast Your Dreams

Hold fast your dreams!
Within your heart
Keep one still, secret spot
Where dreams may go,
And, sheltered so,
May thrive and grow
Where doubt and fear are not.
O keep a place apart,
Within you heart,
For little dreams to go!

-- Louise Driscoll

This poem is one that I loved as a child - Apparently there are more verses but this is the verse I knew and cherished. It says a lot.
Everybody needs dreams and however unrealistic some of them might be, without dreams, the future looks somewhat bleak.

Moi