Thursday, October 11, 2007

Feeling Guilty About Driving

Occasionally, I drive my car to the university. When I do, I usually feel somewhat guilty about doing so. I made an issue of taking the bus for environmental reasons and I feel hypocritical when I drive.

Today was one of those days. I was not feeling very well and had decided to skip classes and just get my homework from my first class and hand in my assignment that was due today in my second class. Instead, I began to feel somewhat better and stayed on for my second class.

I'm glad I did. First of all, three of us read each others assignments and gave our feedback on them. It was too late to change anything in my assignment, but the feedback was positive about two things. The two classmates who read my assignment, liked my approach of splitting off part of the data, that we were given, and assigning it to a new category. We had that option given to us in the assignment, so I was not being particularly daring by doing so. Secondly, they liked my analysis and the way that I presented it. I was also reassured by the fact that they came to somewhat the same conclusions that I did. I also got back the quiz that we wrote last week. I did very well on it, so now I am ahead slightly (just two marks in four quizzes that are marked out of ten) in the friendly rivalry that a classmate and I are engaging in.

By the time the class ended, I felt lousy again, so I skipped my last class. I was happy to have the car available and drove home guilt free.

No comments: