Thursday, October 25, 2007

Changes Over The Years

I've noticed quite a few changes since I last attended university almost four decades ago. The most noticeable one is smoking. Very few people smoke now compared to the majority who did then. I don't see many people reading newspapers either. It was quite common for students to read newspapers before class and, sometimes, even during class. Water bottles are everywhere now. We never used a water bottle outside of a camping trip. Coffee is also ubiquitous. We drank a lot of coffee, but, usually, sat down somewhere other than in class to drink it. I don't think that most profs let us have food or anything to drink in class. I'm not sure on that though. Of course, there are two things that really stand out; one is the changes brought about by new technology. A very large proportion of the student body of today is wired for sound and carries a cell phone. Laptops are common, although those who use one in class are still in the minority. The other very noticeable difference is drug use. I don't see a lot of evidence of drug use compared to my last time at university, when coming to class stoned was quite normal for some students. Those were the days of Timothy Leary and his mantra, "Turn on, tune in, drop out." Then again, maybe I just hang around with a different crowd these days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When wandering around the campus of the local university, I noticed No Smoking signs everywhere. As you mentioned the small number of smokers you have noticed, it dawned on me that your campus must allow smoking. Ours does not. This is probably a good thing except for those students who live in residence and are forced to go for a long walk to have their cigarette. I don't think that is fair or safe. If the campus is their home, there should be a designated smoking area around residence. This way, students aren't walking alone at night to get off University property just to have a cigarette.

Kathy said...

I work at a university and it's exactly as you describe. I think the rampant cell phone use drives me the most nuts. It's as though students can't dream of strolling campus quietly, soaking in the scene or contemplating something they just learned in class. Soon as they're out the door, they're on the phone. Sad state of affairs, if you ask me.

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll! Appreciate it.

rob said...

I don't know how we ever survived without cell phones.

We have a beautiful campus that has many lovely spots where one can enjoy nature and recuperated from the wear and tear of the daily grind. I rarely see people stopping to smell the roses, so to speak. I don't think that very many of them know how to unplug and to commune with nature. It's sad.

You are quite welcome.