Saturday, September 15, 2007

My First Week

I completed my first week, albeit with a major hiccup. There was a family crisis that caused me to miss classes on Friday. Otherwise it went well. I am pleased with the reception that I am getting.

Patterns are starting to emerge. We are beginning to form small groups within some of our classes. People who think alike start talking and end up spending time together. I would like to meet more people who are different, who have different ideas to contribute, who have other perspectives to offer. Relationships that would do that need to be more deliberate and cultivated. I would have to move away from what is easy and comfortable towards the difficult and unfamiliar.

I think that one of the goals for university should be to open up and experience life from different perspectives. We need to learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable. (The last sentence comes from something I read once but I don't remember the source.)

No comments: