Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Important Discovery

While travelling along a route frequented by many of the students on their daily movement to and from their gathering place, I discovered a possible adaptive change in the behaviour of some of them. Several of the students, who did not have umbrellas, had gathered underneath the overhang of a building to shelter themselves from the rain. It seemed to be quite effective.

I also discovered an ingenious, two hooded jacket system that was being used by one of the more creative students. She used the inner hood to shelter herself from the elements and used the outer hood to catch the rain for later use. I am sure that she had gathered enough rainwater to meet her needs for the rest of the afternoon.

It is said that some students are adept and quick to learn. Perhaps, this behaviour will spread. In that case, I would expect their survival rate to increase.

Upon our arrival at the main gathering spot, we were greeted by several chanting students who gave each of the refugees, from the storm, free hugs. I had to hug three of the group before they would let me continue. I am not sure what they meant by free hugs. I've never had to pay for hugs before, but maybe that is the custom here.

I ventured throughout the student gathering places this afternoon and have learned many things but I must end my report here. It is time to go and take part in a group ritual. It involves getting up in front of a group of students and presenting one or more poems for their enjoyment. I don't know what happens to the presenters who do not satisfy the crowd, so I am a bit apprehensive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would certainly be apprehensive as well. Speaking, sharing personal thoughts expressed in the poetic medium; this would be a daunting task. I am sure that you did fine. You sound like an intelligent, well-rounded person who would be up to the challenge. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feelings about the experience.

R-