Friday, November 9, 2007

Funky Friday

I'm in a bit of a funk this evening, so take anything that I say with a grain or two, or maybe a bag, of salt.

Our stats prof posted a practise test for us on the class website. Today, she reviewed the questions that students identified as being problematic. Most of the solutions were straight forward and there were very few questions when she showed us how to get the solution. That is, except for one. We had to calculate the minimum sample size required to meet a given confidence level. We were dealing with discrete objects and there is no way to take a fraction of a sample but the majority of the class rounded the calculated answer down and were very surprised when our prof said that that answer was incorrect. Anyway, I am not the class genius and maybe I am being too hard on everybody.

There has been more fallout from the events of the last couple of months and that is colouring my writing tonight. Also, one of my stats classmates told a couple of us that she has a medical problem and that she has to go for a diagnostic test tonight. She has talked to our prof and has permission to write the exam later if she chooses. She was noticeably distressed.

It seems that each time I think that things are getting together, they start coming undone again. I have to write my stats test tomorrow and I have to get on with my work at university. I need to find some way of keeping my personal life out of my school life. Writing this post is helping, I just cannot say too much, because there is the privacy of others to consider.

I seem to be drawn to people that have gone through hard times. I don't actively seek them out, but I have only told three students about what happened this fall and all three of them have had experiences that are very similar to mine. Maybe it is just chance. I have no idea what the probability is and I am not going to try to calculate it.

One of the student student survival foods is on the menu tonight. Pizza. It's quick and easy. So it's pizza, and maybe some Diana Krall to mellow things out.

No comments: