Monday, November 12, 2007

Stats to the Rescue

Some people really make a difference in others lives and they are probably not even aware that they have done so. I ran into one of my profs in the hall this morning, the same corner as in the previous post. This time the interaction was much better. We talked about how I was doing in my other courses and we touched on the events of the last couple of months. It was a positive experience. Later, just before class, I talked to the classmate with the health problems. She is still quite upset. She and her friend know that I have some personal problem which is causing me a lot of grief right now. We commiserated and talked about well-meaning people who say the strangest things to try and make you feel better. She made me chuckle when she said she was putting her knowledge of stats to good use. She has had several things go wrong this fall and she claimed that her recent troubles are a statistical anomaly and that it is highly probable that things will get better. I like her attitude.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I'd go with that theory! Sorry you're having some trouble at the moment. Hope things look up for you soon.

rob said...

Kathy-- We need to do whatever works sometimes. I told her about your "Sunday Reflections" post. It made her laugh. She has a few candidates in mind.

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodie! Everyone needs to dream about holding someone's head under water every now and then.

Take care.

rob said...

Kathy-- Our dreams can help to get us through the rough patches. That and a little self control. Or maybe a lot of self control.

Thanks for your concern. It helps to know that others care.