Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My New Laptop

My return to university has prompted me to buy a new laptop. Although I have owned one or more computers since the early eighties, it is my first new computer in more than a decade. I don't play games or do very much that needs the newest or latest computer software. The most demanding program I use is Gimp for photo editing. I use Linux on my desktop and find that it does everything that I need it to do, and it does it quite well.

I bought a Dell with Vista as the operating system. It has a dual core Centrino running at 1.67 Ghz and two gigs of ram. It uses one gig without any user programs running. I had heard about Vista and its needing a fast processor with lots of ram. I have not had any real problems with it yet, other than having to reboot it about a dozen times since I got it after installing new software and updating the system software. That is something that my Linux system does not need to do.

My new computer does run Google Earth a lot faster than my Linux desktop does. I like that feature. Oh, by the way, my desktop is a Compaq Pentium 3 running at 0.867 Ghz , with 512 megs of ram that I bought, for less than a tenth of the price of my new Dell, at a yard sale a couple of years ago.

No comments: